St. Augustine Parish Church
The Catholic Church of Lubao
After the strong resistance of Lubenians against the invading Spaniards in the 16th century, the power of the Christian cross converted many Lubenians to Christianity.
The St. Augustine's church in Lubao was initially built in 1572 in barrio Santa Catalina. Due to annual floods in the area, it was moved to the present site thirty years later.
An Augustinian priest and architect, Fr. Antonio Herrera constructed this parish church in 1614-1630 out of locally made bricks and sand mixed in egg albumen provided by the people of Lubao.
The church was occupied by the Philippine revolutionary forces in 1898. In 1899, it was used also as a hospital by American soldiers and in 1942, it was damaged by Japanese shelling.
Under the direction of Fr. Melencio Garcia and other priests, it was repaired in 1949-1952.
(From the Church Marker)